Robin Roberts GMA leave starts Thurs. due to mom's illness
August 30, 2012 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Thursday was Robin Roberts' last day on ''Good Morning America'' before her medical leave.
She went home to Mississippi after Thursday's program to be with her ailing mother, Lucimarian Roberts.
Roberts is still scheduled to begin her final preps for her bone marrow transplant next week.
Her last day before leave was originally going to be Friday.
On Monday's edition of the ABC News wakeup program, Roberts had announced the original start date for what's being called her "extended medical leave."
Roberts told viewers in July that she has MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease once known as preleukemia.
But looking further ahead, Roberts noted she is luckier than many workers who become ill. She says her bosses have been generous in giving her the needed time off, and her job is waiting for her when she's well enough to return. She described herself as "very blessed."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 47 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 48 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting 3 min ago
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party 16 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 24 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
47 min ago