Ted Nugent 'naked' without gun at SOTU
February 13, 2013 (WASHINGTON) -- There was one other unofficial Republican response to the president's State of the Union from a man who sometimes shoots from the lip.
Gun-loving rocker Ted Nugent was fired up for President Obama's State of the Union address. He attended as a guest of conservative Texas Congressman Steve Stockman and is expected to hold a news conference afterward.
"Freedom and independence, rugged individualism and leave us alone," Nugent told CNN. "I'm so sweet, I can hardly stand myself. You know, I didn't invent precious, but I've got it perfected.
Nugent said he felt awkward not being able to carry a weapon into the building.
"I'm butt naked. I've never been so naked in all my life. If something happens, you're gonna have to call somebody else because I can't do squat to help you right now. I don't even have a pocket knife on me. Can you feel the pain? I did retain my flashlight though. I said, 'Can I bring a flashlight with me?' This is so weird. This is so un-American," Nugent said.
Nugent carries weapons with him at all times. He joked to the New York Times that he would be "at least 20 pounds lighter" at the State of the Union. Nugent has been outspoken about his opposition to President Barack Obama's policies. He was interviewed by the U.S. Secret Service after he said he would be "dead or in jail" if Obama was re-elected.
Nugent, Styx and REO Speedwagon are planning to return to what Styx guitarist James Young calls "the juggernaut of megatainment." They will do the Midwest Rock 'n Roll Express tour for a second year beginning April 18 in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Nugent says his shows are "an indescribable celebration" and "Styx and REO deserve me."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Alsip refinery fire after possible explosion 4 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch 54 min ago
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- Doritos wings, Mountain Dew dipping sauce could come to BWW
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees 3 min ago
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 12-13-13
12 min ago
- 7 in :77