Ted Nugent 'naked' without gun at SOTU
February 13, 2013 (WASHINGTON) -- There was one other unofficial Republican response to the president's State of the Union from a man who sometimes shoots from the lip.
Gun-loving rocker Ted Nugent was fired up for President Obama's State of the Union address. He attended as a guest of conservative Texas Congressman Steve Stockman and is expected to hold a news conference afterward.
"Freedom and independence, rugged individualism and leave us alone," Nugent told CNN. "I'm so sweet, I can hardly stand myself. You know, I didn't invent precious, but I've got it perfected.
Nugent said he felt awkward not being able to carry a weapon into the building.
"I'm butt naked. I've never been so naked in all my life. If something happens, you're gonna have to call somebody else because I can't do squat to help you right now. I don't even have a pocket knife on me. Can you feel the pain? I did retain my flashlight though. I said, 'Can I bring a flashlight with me?' This is so weird. This is so un-American," Nugent said.
Nugent carries weapons with him at all times. He joked to the New York Times that he would be "at least 20 pounds lighter" at the State of the Union. Nugent has been outspoken about his opposition to President Barack Obama's policies. He was interviewed by the U.S. Secret Service after he said he would be "dead or in jail" if Obama was re-elected.
Nugent, Styx and REO Speedwagon are planning to return to what Styx guitarist James Young calls "the juggernaut of megatainment." They will do the Midwest Rock 'n Roll Express tour for a second year beginning April 18 in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Nugent says his shows are "an indescribable celebration" and "Styx and REO deserve me."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement 32 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 54 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 43 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos