Valerie Harper brain cancer terminal, report says
March 6, 2013 (NEW YORK) -- Valerie Harper, who played Rhoda Morgenstern on television's ''The Mary Tyler Moore Show'' and its spinoff, ''Rhoda,'' has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.
People magazine reports on its website Wednesday that the 73-year-old actress received the news on Jan. 15. The report says she has as little as three months to live. Harper tells the magazine in a cover interview: "I don't think of dying. I think of being here now." Harper's character, Rhoda, was one of television's most beloved sidekicks during the 1970s.
Harper says the diagnosis "hit me like a sledgehammer, incurable is such a concise word. I was terrified."
When she appeared on "GMA" in January, Harper said she'd had stroke-like symptoms that had recently sent her to the hospital. What she didn't say is she had received the terminal diagnosis just days earlier.
There are moments, she told the magazine, where she feels extremely sad. She said she's happy that she's had the life that she's had.
"Life is amazing," she tells People. "Live it to the fullest. Stay as long as you can."
The Associated Press was trying to reach a representative for Harper. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20679402,00.html
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Community on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted 26 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago 56 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- 7 in :77
24 min ago
- Community on alert after girl, 15, beaten,...
26 min ago