Richie Havens dies at 72
April 22, 2013 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Richie Havens, the folk singer and guitarist best known for his three-hour opening set at the 1969 Woodstock music festival, has died at the age of 72.
Havens' booking agent, The Roots Agency, confirmed the musician's death on its website Monday.
His family says in a statement that Havens died of a heart attack.
- PHOTOS: Famous deaths in 2013
The performer was born in Brooklyn. He was known for his crafty guitar work and cover songs.
Havens said in a 2009 interview with The Associated Press about Woodstock: "Everything in my life, and so many others', is attached to that train."
A public memorial will be planned for a later date.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff 12 min ago
- Girl, about 3, found dead in Riverdale woods 9 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos