Zeta-Jones bipolar disorder leads to check-in at treatment center
April 30, 2013 (LOS ANGELES) (WLS) -- A spokeswoman for Catherine Zeta-Jones says the actress has ''proactively'' checked into a mental health facility for treatment of her bipolar condition.
Publicist Sarah Fuller said in an email to The Associated Press late Monday that Zeta-Jones "is committed to periodic care in order to manage her health in an optimum manner."
Two years ago, the 43-year-old Oscar-winner checked into a similar facility for a brief stay for treatment of her condition, known as Bipolar II. She reportedly previously checked into a facility in 2011 for 30 days. The disorder is characterized by mood swings and depressive episodes, and is commonly treated with medication and psychotherapy.
Zeta-Jones has been one of the busiest talents in show business of late, appearing in such films as "Rock of Ages," ''Playing for Keeps," ''Broken City" and "Side Effects."
The actress's most recent treatment was first reported by TMZ.
Last December Zeta-Jones spoke to ABC about her apprehensions on speaking out publicly
"I never wanted to be the poster child for this," she said. "And I never wanted this to come out publicly. It came out. And so I dealt with it in the best way I could, and that was just saying that, 'Look, hey, I'm bipolar."
Doctors say stress can be a trigger for bipolar disorder. And Zeta-Jones has been busy, promoting two films this year alone, along with performing a high-profile song and dance at this year's Oscars
"Even though stress can be a factor, it's been reported that Catherine Zeta-Jones had always scheduled this time to return to treatment because she's between projects and it's convenient," said Lesley Messer, Yahoo.
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River mouth
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees 15 min ago
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation 53 min ago
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party