'The Great Gatsby' living, drinking encouraged by NYC hotel
May 10, 2013 (NEW YORK) -- In anticipation of Baz Luhrmann's debut of ''The Great Gatsby'' movie, The Mansfield Hotel, a historic boutique hotel in New York, unveils its own ties with the classic novel with an authentic Gatsby experience.
Located off Fifth Avenue on 44th Street, The Mansfield was originally built as a hostelry for well-heeled bachelors and once housed socialite Max von Gerlach, a bootlegger and former World War I officer, who according to Some Sort of Epic Grandeur, Matthew J Bruccoli's biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald, was the inspiration for the character of Jay Gatsby. Gerlach lived at The Mansfield until his death in October 1958.
For those who want to step into Gatsby's past and have a taste of the roaring twenties without sacrificing the modern conveniences of the 21st century, the hotel is launching the "Live Like Gatsby" package, timed with the May 10 release of the 3D-movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby, including: -- Two classic cocktails per night from the "Imbibe Like Gatsby" menu at the hotel's M Bar -- Live music at M Bar on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays -- The Mansfield's guide to Gatsby's New York, including notes on prominent 1920s architectural sites and a roundup of the best modern speakeasy bars in the city -- One print copy of "The Great Gatsby"
According to documents related to a private investigation, Gerlach knew Fitzgerald in the 1920s and allegedly kept him "topped off with booze." In homage of Fitzgerald and Gerlach's relationship, The Mansfield's
M Bar launches the "Imbibe Like Gatsby," a menu of Golden Era elixirs with literary references such as Gatsby's Torrid Goodbye, Owl Eyes' Gimlet and Wilson's Yellow Slam.
Recently deemed a historical landmark, The Mansfield resides within the historic preservation district of Midtown Manhattan, and deep in the heart of the Theater District.
- LIVE Coverage of Nelson Mandela Memorial 52 min ago
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5 39 min ago
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- Obama urges world to act on Nelson Mandela...
9 min ago