Tejano singer attacked in Houston
May 14, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- A Grammy-winning Tejano singer is recovering from an attack at a Houston bar. Witnesses say a fan is responsible for the beating.
La Mafia is one of the pioneers of Tejano music. They've been around for three decades and are arguably the most recognizable Tejano band. It's that notoriety that led to a severe beating of the band's lead singer.
Oscar De La Rosa is the front man of the four-time Grammy Award-winning group La Mafia, but his bandmate says his celebrity status turned on him.
"This person was in the club and had wanted a photo with Oscar. And sometimes when he goes out for entertainment he doesn't like taking pictures," Armando Lichtenberger Jr.
De La Rosa and his driver were leaving the night club Blur Bar in Montrose around 1:30 a.m. Monday. Minutes earlier, the fan that requested the picture was thrown out for a separate incident and saw the Tejano singer leaving. He rushed both before they realized it.
"He sucker-punched the driver, knocked him half unconscious and then he went at Oscar and started pounding on his face," said Lichtenberger.
The 53-year-old was rushed to the hospital with serious facial injuries. Stitches were needed for several gashes under his eye, nose and upper lip. An eye specialist say his vision in one eye could be limited.
"Right now he has lost, he is at 60 percent and they don't know yet if there will be permanent damage," Lichtenberger told us.
The singer is now resting at home and is in shock that he was attacked.
"A sucker punch is the worst thing," said Lichtenberger. "He didn't get to defend himself at all. It happened so fast."
The suspect fled on foot, but police believe they have him identified and charges are expected.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos