Angelina Jolie's aunt dies of breast cancer just days after star's op-ed
May 26, 2013 (ESCONDIDO, Calif.) -- Less than two weeks after Angelina Jolie revealed she's had a double mastectomy to avoid breast cancer, her aunt has died from the disease.
Jolie's aunt Debbie Martin died at age 61 Sunday in a San Diego-area hospital, husband Ron Martin tells The Associated Press.
Debbie Martin was the younger sister of Jolie's mother Marcheline Bertrand, whose own death from cancer in 2007 inspired the surgery that Jolie described in a May 14 New York Times op-ed.
According to her husband, Debbie Martin had the same defective BRCA1 gene that Jolie does, but didn't know it until after her 2004 cancer diagnosis.
He says had his wife known in advance of her genetic risk, "she would have done exactly what Angelina did."
Martin's death was first reported by E! News.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 50 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 53 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case