Angelina Jolie's aunt dies of breast cancer just days after star's op-ed
May 26, 2013 (ESCONDIDO, Calif.) -- Less than two weeks after Angelina Jolie revealed she's had a double mastectomy to avoid breast cancer, her aunt has died from the disease.
Jolie's aunt Debbie Martin died at age 61 Sunday in a San Diego-area hospital, husband Ron Martin tells The Associated Press.
Debbie Martin was the younger sister of Jolie's mother Marcheline Bertrand, whose own death from cancer in 2007 inspired the surgery that Jolie described in a May 14 New York Times op-ed.
According to her husband, Debbie Martin had the same defective BRCA1 gene that Jolie does, but didn't know it until after her 2004 cancer diagnosis.
He says had his wife known in advance of her genetic risk, "she would have done exactly what Angelina did."
Martin's death was first reported by E! News.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 20 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home