David Cassidy arresting officer Tom Jones didn't know who star was
August 22, 2013 (SCHODACK, N.Y.) -- The Schodack Police Department says they arrested former teen idol David Cassidy in New York for felony driving while intoxicated early Wednesday morning.
Schodack Police Officer Tom Jones was conducting a Stop-DWI enforcement detail when he stopped Cassidy, 63, of Fort Lauderdale, on the Columbia Turnpike near Miller Road around 2 a.m. Wednesday.
Cassidy had a BAC of .10 percent and has been charged with felony DWI and failure to dim headlights. He was arraigned in the town of Schodack Justice Court and taken to Rensselaer County Jail where he posted $2,500 bail Wednesday morning.
The Chief of Police Bernhard Peter says Officer Jones was too young to know who Cassidy is. He says Cassidy was driving a rental car, visiting friends with his fiancee, and his fiancee wasn't drunk, so she drove away with the car after his arrest.
The police chief says Cassidy "cooperated and was a gentleman."
Cassidy is best known for his role as the character of Keith Partridge in the 1970's musical/sitcom "The Partridge Family." He is known for frequenting the Saratoga Race Course each summer.
Cassidy was previously arrested for DUI in Florida in 2010, making this recent arrest a felony charge.
He is scheduled to return to town court in September.
Police Lt. Joseph Belardo says Cassidy was stopped shortly after 12 a.m. Wednesday about 10 miles south of Albany.
Cassidy's publicist had no immediate comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 2 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap