Michael Jackson wrongful death trial verdict reached
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES -- Five months after the trial began, the jury in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial has reached a verdict.
The verdict was expected to be read at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, which marks day four of deliberations - three full days of discussions plus a short afternoon session when the jury first got the case, totaling 13 hours and 44 minutes of deliberations.
There are no real indicators as to which way the panel will go.
Attorneys for both sides, Katherine Jackson and concert promoter AEG, have both agreed not to make any comments to the media until the verdict is in.
Michael Jackson's mother sued AEG over the hiring of Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for giving Jackson an overdose of the anesthetic propofol in 2009.
Katherine Jackson's attorneys claim AEG should have done a thorough background check on Murray and was negligent in monitoring the doctor.
The company denied hiring Murray and said he had been picked by the singer as the doctor for his upcoming shows.
A unanimous verdict is not required in the case since it is a civil trial. Only nine of the 12 jurors must agree.
The Jackson family is seeking $1.5 billion in damages.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
legal, celebrity, court case, entertainment
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Jury deliberates in Allan Kustok murder trial 30 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 15 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space 31 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Coast Guard cutter Mobile Bay goes to work...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos