Michael Jackson wrongful death trial verdict reached
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES -- Five months after the trial began, the jury in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial has reached a verdict.
The verdict was expected to be read at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, which marks day four of deliberations - three full days of discussions plus a short afternoon session when the jury first got the case, totaling 13 hours and 44 minutes of deliberations.
There are no real indicators as to which way the panel will go.
Attorneys for both sides, Katherine Jackson and concert promoter AEG, have both agreed not to make any comments to the media until the verdict is in.
Michael Jackson's mother sued AEG over the hiring of Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for giving Jackson an overdose of the anesthetic propofol in 2009.
Katherine Jackson's attorneys claim AEG should have done a thorough background check on Murray and was negligent in monitoring the doctor.
The company denied hiring Murray and said he had been picked by the singer as the doctor for his upcoming shows.
A unanimous verdict is not required in the case since it is a civil trial. Only nine of the 12 jurors must agree.
The Jackson family is seeking $1.5 billion in damages.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
legal, celebrity, court case, entertainment
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos