Brittany Murphy, husband deaths re-examined; new tox test suggests actress died of rat poison
November 19, 2013 (LOS ANGELES) -- Three years ago, the L.A. coroner ruled the death of actress Brittany Murphy, 32, as being from natural causes. But new toxicology tests indicate that she may have been poisoned.
Murphy's family claims the star's 2009 death was murder.
Known for her role in the '90's cult classic "Clueless," her untimely death is now being called into question. Her father said he thinks his famous daughter may have been poisoned.
"I have a feeling that there was a definite murder situation here," he said. "It's poison, yes, I know that."
Nearly four years ago, the 32-year-old was found unconscious in her la home and died shortly thereafter. The coroner ruled her death was due to pneumonia and iron-deficiency anemia, and also claimed the prescription medication she was using weakened her system. Her father alleges in court papers that the coroner never tested her hair or other remains for poisons or heavy metals. Then strangely, five months after the "8 Mile" star's death, her husband Simon Monjack also died suddenly under similar conditions.
"Our theory is they were poisoned, but the investigators should look into it," a family friend said.
A new toxicology report ordered by Murphy's father shows samples of the star's hair tested positive for high levels of ten heavy metals. The lab that conducted the tests suggested one possible explanation "would be an exposure to these metals (toxins) administered by a third party perpetrator with likely criminal intent."
"Brittany Murphy's death is highly suspicious, based upon finding 10 heavy Metals," said Cyril Wecht. "Not conjecture, not common person's believe, emotion or anguish; it is a report, cannot be ignored."
The LAPD refused to comment but in a statement, the L.A. Coroner's Office says, "We have not seen the results and nothing has been presented to us. we stand by what we ruled on the case."
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night 55 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet 22 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 25 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
37 min ago
- Divvy Week kicks off in Chicago
59 min ago