Brittany Murphy, husband deaths re-examined; new tox test suggests actress died of rat poison
November 19, 2013 (LOS ANGELES) -- Three years ago, the L.A. coroner ruled the death of actress Brittany Murphy, 32, as being from natural causes. But new toxicology tests indicate that she may have been poisoned.
Murphy's family claims the star's 2009 death was murder.
Known for her role in the '90's cult classic "Clueless," her untimely death is now being called into question. Her father said he thinks his famous daughter may have been poisoned.
"I have a feeling that there was a definite murder situation here," he said. "It's poison, yes, I know that."
Nearly four years ago, the 32-year-old was found unconscious in her la home and died shortly thereafter. The coroner ruled her death was due to pneumonia and iron-deficiency anemia, and also claimed the prescription medication she was using weakened her system. Her father alleges in court papers that the coroner never tested her hair or other remains for poisons or heavy metals. Then strangely, five months after the "8 Mile" star's death, her husband Simon Monjack also died suddenly under similar conditions.
"Our theory is they were poisoned, but the investigators should look into it," a family friend said.
A new toxicology report ordered by Murphy's father shows samples of the star's hair tested positive for high levels of ten heavy metals. The lab that conducted the tests suggested one possible explanation "would be an exposure to these metals (toxins) administered by a third party perpetrator with likely criminal intent."
"Brittany Murphy's death is highly suspicious, based upon finding 10 heavy Metals," said Cyril Wecht. "Not conjecture, not common person's believe, emotion or anguish; it is a report, cannot be ignored."
The LAPD refused to comment but in a statement, the L.A. Coroner's Office says, "We have not seen the results and nothing has been presented to us. we stand by what we ruled on the case."
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election 59 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 45 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen 55 min ago
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
45 min ago
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before...
59 min ago
- Calumet Fisheries smokes, fries fish on...
41 min ago