Co-ed dorms linked to increased drinking, sex
November 25, 2009 (WLS) -- If you are the parent of a college student who lives in a co-ed dorm, you may have a reason to be concerned about what goes on behind closed doors.
A new study suggests those college dorms are encouraging young people to drink heavily and have more sex.
In a survey of more than 500 students at five US universities, researchers found that students living in co-ed housing were nearly 3 times more likely to admit to binge-drinking on a weekly basis than those in single sex dorms. They were also more than twice as likely to say they'd had at least three sex partners in the past year.
Researchers say the link still exists even after taking into consideration religious beliefs and personality traits.
This study is in the Journal of American College Health.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 2 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead 6 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich's wife Patti 'feeling hopeful' for appeal 50 min ago
- Alleged robber shot, killed by store owner ID'd 32 min ago
- Couple injured after van lands in Huntley creek
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 4 min ago
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
24 min ago
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
2 min ago
- Morkes creates Christmas ornament caramel...
11 min ago