Germs in the Workplace: Break rooms have the most germs
May 23, 2012 (WLS) -- If you think the bathroom at work is the place with the most germs, think again. Experts say you need to look someplace else: The break room.
That's the area that tends to have high traffic and a high amount of contamination.
Kimberly-Clark, the company that makes a number of hygiene products, did a study on germs in the workplace and took 5,000 samples from various types of businesses.
The top 5 germiest spots:
- 75 percent of the sink faucet handles were filled with germs
- 48 percent of microwave door handles
- 27 percent of keyboards
- and 26 percent of refrigerator doors.
The best thing you can do to protect yourself from getting sick is wash your hands a lot before heading back to your desk.
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit 55 min ago
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers 48 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 3 dolphins pregnant at Brookfield Zoo
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 7 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
7 min ago
- Can fortified homes be built to withstand...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos