Free vaccines may have been stored at wrong temperature
June 6, 2012 (WLS) -- A new government report may have parents asking, How effective was my child's last round of vaccines?
An investigation by the Centers for Disease Control found that free vaccines meant for children as part of a government program may have been stored at the wrong temperature.
The violations are considered serious by inspectors.
Seventy-five percent of the doctors' offices and clinics that were checked had been storing their vaccines at temperatures considered either too hot or too cold. They also had damaged goods in the vaccine refrigerators, and one out of four had expired vaccines.
Experts say, poorly stored vaccines are not deadly or harmful, but they can become ineffective. That can leave children exposed to diseases these drugs are designed to protect them against.
"There have been changes in the equipment, the refrigerators," said CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat "There are many vaccines recommended now and it maybe there are more doses being stored in the average office than there used to be."
The CDC is vowing to improve the system with retraining and more oversight.
It is recommended parents talk to their doctors about children's vaccines and how they are being stored.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 15 min ago
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway 17 min ago
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 28 min ago
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open 47 min ago
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale 28 min ago
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
28 min ago
- Wilmette twins break Guinness world record
33 min ago
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos