What is MDS?
June 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Robin Roberts' treatment for breast cancer may be the cause of her current health challenge.
Roberts says she is now beginning chemotherapy treatment for myelodysplastic syndrome, or MDS. It is a blood and bone marrow disease once known as pre-leukemia. It is a condition where the blood cells become abnormal and don't function well.
Patients can suffer a variety of side effects, including anemia or risk of infection.
MDS is more likely to show up in older patients for an undetermined reason. But in a small number of cases it can be caused by prior chemotherapy treatments. That's what is suspected in Roberts' case.
Dr. Stephanie Gregory at the Rush University Cancer Center says, even though this is unusual, she is seeing an increase in MDS cases like Roberts'. Gregory say that is because more people are surviving cancer.
"The way we cure cancer today is by chemotherapy usually," said Gregory. "You may combine chemotherapy with radiation, and those drugs if they cure the patient probably have given a little bit of damage to the bone marrow, and depending on how much damage has occurred to the bone marrow, stem cell patients may develop the therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome."
Some people who have MDS can go on to develop leukemia.
The approach to curing MDS is a bone marrow transplant, which Roberts will have in the coming months.
Roberts says her prognosis is great and her sister, who is a perfect match, will be the donor.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 13 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 56 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 46 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 28 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 53 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 56 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
13 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
53 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
56 min ago