What is MDS?
June 11, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Robin Roberts' treatment for breast cancer may be the cause of her current health challenge.
Roberts says she is now beginning chemotherapy treatment for myelodysplastic syndrome, or MDS. It is a blood and bone marrow disease once known as pre-leukemia. It is a condition where the blood cells become abnormal and don't function well.
Patients can suffer a variety of side effects, including anemia or risk of infection.
MDS is more likely to show up in older patients for an undetermined reason. But in a small number of cases it can be caused by prior chemotherapy treatments. That's what is suspected in Roberts' case.
Dr. Stephanie Gregory at the Rush University Cancer Center says, even though this is unusual, she is seeing an increase in MDS cases like Roberts'. Gregory say that is because more people are surviving cancer.
"The way we cure cancer today is by chemotherapy usually," said Gregory. "You may combine chemotherapy with radiation, and those drugs if they cure the patient probably have given a little bit of damage to the bone marrow, and depending on how much damage has occurred to the bone marrow, stem cell patients may develop the therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome."
Some people who have MDS can go on to develop leukemia.
The approach to curing MDS is a bone marrow transplant, which Roberts will have in the coming months.
Roberts says her prognosis is great and her sister, who is a perfect match, will be the donor.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 42 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 18 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler 3 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 13, 2014
16 min ago