Study: Overweight children struggle with math
June 14, 2012 (WLS) -- Children who are overweight may not perform as well in school, especially with math.
Findings show that children who start kindergarten overweight and are still overweight after fifth grade, performed worse on math tests than fit children.
It's believed that interpersonal troubles and internalizing behaviors may be why weight may affect math performance.
This study appears in the journal Child Development.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking