18 million US cancer survivors by 2022
June 14, 2012 (WLS) -- It's expected there will be 18 million cancer survivors in the US by 2022, according to the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute.
They say the dramatic increase will be driven in large part by a growing aging population, and combination of earlier diagnosis and better treatment of some of the most common cancers.
This report concludes that the expanding population of cancer survivors makes it increasingly important that the medical community understand their unique healthcare needs.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 49 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 45 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 45 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 11 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 48 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
45 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos