Sitting less could lead to longer life
July 10, 2012 (WLS) -- The amount of time you spend sitting could have a significant impact on your health.
Researchers at Pennington Biomedical Research center in Baton Rouge looked at five prior studies of 167,00 people in several countries.
They estimate a person could add two years to their life by reducing sitting to less than 3 hours a day.
Researchers did not prove that sitting more is the cause of earlier death, but they examined evidence that sitting appears to have detrimental effects on lifestyle.
The study appears in the British medical journal open.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood 41 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 47 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 30 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business 39 min ago
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night 36 min ago
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
30 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
41 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
47 min ago
- Aperitifs, digestifs enhance meals at Sable
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos