Alcohol good for bone health in women
July 12, 2012 (WLS) -- Scientists say it's no excuse for women to overindulge, but alcohol in moderation could be good for the bones.
A new study finds drinking one or two alcoholic beverages several times a week may improve the bone health of older women.
It could also reduce a woman's risk of osteoporosis. Scientists from Oregon State University say moderate alcohol may slow bone loss by lowering bone turnover. That means it may lower the risk for osteoporosis.
It appears that the alcohol acts like estrogen in reducing bone loss.
- Boy Scouts to lift ban on openly gay scouts
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Evanston school takes action after reports of 'sexting'
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Monk accused in Antioch child luring out on bond
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos