Treatment options for hair loss in women
July 18, 2012 (WLS) -- Hair loss is a potentially devastating problem that one in every four women will have to face. But there's some new research and good news behind that statistic and the science of hair loss.
Stress is one of the top reasons for female hair loss, or telogen effluvium. In fact, new research shows the second strongest predictor of central hair loss in women is their marital status. Divorce or death of a spouse can actually thin your tresses.
Other reasons for hair loss include major surgery, weight loss or medications.
To treat it, try biotin or iron supplements, hormone replacement therapy, or Minoxidil. A good source of it is the popular male hair stimulator Rogaine.
"Rogaine definitely is worth using. It works better in women than in men," said hair transplant surgery specialist Dr. Marina Pizarro.
Another top hair loss factor? Excessive styling. A Cleveland Clinic study found 30 percent of middle-aged black women are balding due to everything from chemicals to tight braids and ponytails. To protect your locks, set your hair dryer on low, keep your styling tools at or below 347 degrees Fahrenheit, and heat your locks no more than two or three times a week. Avoid products with ammonia and styles that pull on the hair.
"It's like an internal clock that says at such age, you're going to start losing your hair, and it doesn't matter. It's a family trait," said Pizarro.
A new study from Case Western Reserve School of Medicine found that excessive drinking and smoking also boost the risk for hair loss in women.
Research shows the drug Minoxidil, found in Rogaine, is especially effective in younger women with hair loss.
Pizarro says the earlier you begin treating the condition causing the hair loss, the better chance you'll have at regrowing healthy hair.
healthbeat, sylvia perez
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 3 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 11 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 34 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 55 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
11 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
3 min ago