Cleaning inner ears can be dangerous
August 9, 2012 (WLS) -- If you clean the insides of your ears, medical experts say it's time to stop.
Doctors say putting a cotton swab or anything else into your ears is not only unhealthy, it also can be dangerous.
Sticking anything into our ears can push ear wax in even further and compact it.
Experts say ear wax shields the ear by trapping dust, bacteria and other foreign particles from entering and also protects the delicate skin of the ear canal from becoming irritated when water gets in.
Typically, ear wax is soft and doctors say it should fall out on its own.
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way 7 min ago
- Chicago memorials honor Nelson Mandela 24 min ago
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 5 min ago
- Office Depot move disappoints IL lawmakers 42 min ago
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Man charged with pouring boiling water on teen 51 min ago
- Firefighter crashes van into Ind. home, suffers burns
- Sex assault trial begins without defendant, 85
- CTA trains to be cleaned less often, union says 21 min ago
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Flossmoor fire injures woman
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert
- abcnews: Football player suspended for snowball fight
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
5 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way
7 min ago