Study: Breast cancer treatment causes complications
October 24, 2012 (WLS) -- It's called brachytherapy and it was hailed as an alternative to fight breast cancer, but now there's concern this targeted radiation for breast cancer causes more complications in patients than whole breast radiation.
Proponents of brachytherapy say it is better because it reduces the amount of healthy tissue exposed to radiation.
Researchers say in theory the method seems to be ideal but there's not enough scientific evidence to prove the benefits. They found brachytherapy was associated with a nearly 17 percent higher rate of wound and skin complications in the year after treatment.
Authors of the study in the journal Oncology say brachytherapy has become increasingly popular.
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers 51 min ago
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos