Study: Childhood may have effect on political views
November 1, 2012 (WLS) -- Are you a liberal or conservative? It may depend on how you were raised.
A person's temperament in childhood and the type of parenting they received can have a major effect on their political beliefs, according to new research.
Scientists discovered that children with authoritarian parents were more likely to have conservative political beliefs when they were 18. Those with egalitarian parents were more likely to have liberal beliefs, the study published in 'Psychological Science' said.
The findings held true after accounting for factors such as gender, ethnic background and socioeconomic status, the researchers said.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...