Study: Childhood may have effect on political views
November 1, 2012 (WLS) -- Are you a liberal or conservative? It may depend on how you were raised.
A person's temperament in childhood and the type of parenting they received can have a major effect on their political beliefs, according to new research.
Scientists discovered that children with authoritarian parents were more likely to have conservative political beliefs when they were 18. Those with egalitarian parents were more likely to have liberal beliefs, the study published in 'Psychological Science' said.
The findings held true after accounting for factors such as gender, ethnic background and socioeconomic status, the researchers said.
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Boy, 11, killed in crash after South Side carjacking 7 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 23 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash 34 min ago
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive 38 min ago
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos