Post-C-section, mothers may be able to leave hospital sooner than previously thought
November 9, 2012 (WLS) -- How long does a woman need to be hospitalized following a C-section? A new report weighs in.
The small study in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology says some women who deliver by cesarean section may be able to check out of the hospital the next day.
The research followed more than 350 Malaysian women who either went home one or two days after having a C-section.
The women who were discharged sooner seemed to have no more problems than those who stayed longer.
But researchers stress these results don't mean hospitals should start kicking women out the day after a C-section. But they do suggest that a next-day discharge is something women can talk about with their doctors.
Right now, in the United States, women typically stay in the hospital for three to four days after the procedure.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 35 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 42 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 53 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 51 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
35 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
42 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
38 min ago