Bad Blood: Filtering Out High Cholesterol
November 21, 2012 (WLS) -- Thirty-four-million Americans have a cholesterol level that puts them at risk for a heart attack or stroke. For some people, no matter what they do, they can't bring their levels down.
Sandra Miller likes to take old things, clean them up, and make them new again.
"I like to do whatever I can to update them," Miller said.
Right now, doctors are pretty much doing the same thing with her blood.
"It's gonna prevent her heart disease from getting worse and perhaps reverse some of the plaque buildup that's already in her heart," said Amber Sanchez, MD, Assistant Clinical Professor, Associate Medical Director UC San Diego.
While she exercises and eats right, she's genetically prone to high LDL levels, the bad cholesterol in our bodies. The ideal level for people at high risk of heart disease is below 70 she's in the 300's. Now she's one of the first patients at UC San Diego to undergo LDL apheresis.
A machine runs Sandra's blood through a filter that separates the plasma.
"The plasma portion is then run through a special filter that just absorbs bad cholesterol. Returns all the good cholesterol back to the patient," said Sanchez.
Sandra's LDL levels drop from 350 to 67 during the three hour procedure! She will need to do this every two weeks--for life!
"After two weeks her cholesterol is back up in the 200's," said Sanchez.
For Sandra, to make her bad cholesterol good...it's worth it.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Amber Sanchez, MD
The UCSD Apheresis Unit number: (619)543-5977
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 11 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 31 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 1 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 9 min ago
- CTA eyes Red Line extension proposals 4 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 45 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos