Inflatable bounce houses might be dangerous
November 26, 2012 (WLS) -- Inflatable houses, a backyard birthday party favorite, could be hazardous for children.
From 1990 to 2010 more than 64,000 children were sent to the emergency room with injuries that occurred inflatable playhouses, according to researchers. On average 31 children were hurt each day, by the end of the study in the medical journal "Pediatrics".
Most of the injuries came from children falling down or running into each other, resulting in broken bones and sprains. Seven percent of the injured children had concussions, according to the study.
The study suggests that bounce house safety can be improved by better design and stricter guidelines for use.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Cozmanoff guilty in guard's hit-and-run death 34 min ago
- United Airlines keeps naming rights for United Center 8 min ago
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- South Shore Line trains delayed by cold
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- 7 in 77