Cell phone obsession can lead to addiction
December 5, 2012 (WLS) -- Are you addicted to your cell phone? Two researchers say an obsession with your cell phone can become an addiction.
They say cell phones are portable and available 24 hours a day, and like anything, if we go overboard it can become a problem.
Their study also suggests that factors such as materialism and impulsiveness might play a big role in tipping cell phone use into an addiction.
They say their study showed materialistic people viewed cell phones as public signifiers of status or power.
Authors suggests that an impulsive user's need to do something quickly and repeatedly seems to be pacified when texting.
The study appears in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 44 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 49 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- 7 in :77