Cell phone obsession can lead to addiction
December 5, 2012 (WLS) -- Are you addicted to your cell phone? Two researchers say an obsession with your cell phone can become an addiction.
They say cell phones are portable and available 24 hours a day, and like anything, if we go overboard it can become a problem.
Their study also suggests that factors such as materialism and impulsiveness might play a big role in tipping cell phone use into an addiction.
They say their study showed materialistic people viewed cell phones as public signifiers of status or power.
Authors suggests that an impulsive user's need to do something quickly and repeatedly seems to be pacified when texting.
The study appears in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer