Holiday Party Tips From A Personal Trainer
December 10, 2012 (WLS) -- Enjoy holiday parties without worrying about your weight!
It's the time for season's greetings and lots of over-eating. With all the holiday parties and family get-togethers, the temptation to indulge can be overwhelming.
From jingle bells to jiggly bellies! The holidays can wreak havoc on your waistline.
Staying fit can be a tough task.
Personal trainer Shuichi Take says it's all about balance.
"By doing your workout in the morning, you actually boost your metabolism during the course of the day," said Take.
Four simple exercises, 20 seconds each, six to 10 reps.
Don't skip meals. Take says starving yourself now doesn't mean you can pack in more calories later.
"You tend to overeat at that meal because you are overcompensating for the lack of meals earlier that day," Take said.
If hunger strikes, look for protein-filled snacks that make you feel full like beef jerky or...
"Almonds are great, or string cheese, or even deli meat," said Take.
Try to resist that eggnog. just eight ounces has 360-calories. Swap it for hot chocolate and save 250-calories.
Can't pass up on finger foods? Leave the 400-calorie crab cakes behind, and reach for shrimp cocktail instead. It has just 200-calories.
For the main course, choose white over dark.
"You may want to go with something a little bit lighter like, for example, a glass of wine or a glass of champagne, which is maybe closer to about 100 calories," said Take.
Take says it can be hard to be good this time of year. So don't feel too bad if you break the rules occasionally.
"Allow yourself to indulge with your friends and have a good time, afterwards get back on track," said Take.
If sugar is what you're craving, grab a candy cane! This famous holiday treat has only 55 calories.
Another tip: save the best for last! Instead of depriving yourself of your favorite foods, fill up on less fattening snacks throughout the party. Odds are, you'll still eat the treat you've waiting been for, but you will be less likely to binge on it.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos