Holiday Party Tips From A Personal Trainer
December 10, 2012 (WLS) -- Enjoy holiday parties without worrying about your weight!
It's the time for season's greetings and lots of over-eating. With all the holiday parties and family get-togethers, the temptation to indulge can be overwhelming.
From jingle bells to jiggly bellies! The holidays can wreak havoc on your waistline.
Staying fit can be a tough task.
Personal trainer Shuichi Take says it's all about balance.
"By doing your workout in the morning, you actually boost your metabolism during the course of the day," said Take.
Four simple exercises, 20 seconds each, six to 10 reps.
Don't skip meals. Take says starving yourself now doesn't mean you can pack in more calories later.
"You tend to overeat at that meal because you are overcompensating for the lack of meals earlier that day," Take said.
If hunger strikes, look for protein-filled snacks that make you feel full like beef jerky or...
"Almonds are great, or string cheese, or even deli meat," said Take.
Try to resist that eggnog. just eight ounces has 360-calories. Swap it for hot chocolate and save 250-calories.
Can't pass up on finger foods? Leave the 400-calorie crab cakes behind, and reach for shrimp cocktail instead. It has just 200-calories.
For the main course, choose white over dark.
"You may want to go with something a little bit lighter like, for example, a glass of wine or a glass of champagne, which is maybe closer to about 100 calories," said Take.
Take says it can be hard to be good this time of year. So don't feel too bad if you break the rules occasionally.
"Allow yourself to indulge with your friends and have a good time, afterwards get back on track," said Take.
If sugar is what you're craving, grab a candy cane! This famous holiday treat has only 55 calories.
Another tip: save the best for last! Instead of depriving yourself of your favorite foods, fill up on less fattening snacks throughout the party. Odds are, you'll still eat the treat you've waiting been for, but you will be less likely to binge on it.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 40 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 25 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos