Flu activity rising nationally, especially in Ill.
December 21, 2012 (WLS) -- Just in time for all those crowded holiday gatherings, federal health officials say flu activity in the United States is on the rise.
Twenty-nine states reported a spike in flu cases with high levels of influenza in 12 states, including Illinois.
The flu season is off to an early start but the head of the CDC said it is too early to tell how severe it could get.
Experts are stressing that thousands of people die and hundreds of thousands are hospitalized with flu each year.
They said it's not too late to get vaccinated before the flu season peaks, which usually happens in mid-February.
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade 5 min ago
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night 11 min ago
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption 13 min ago
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- New York police investigating Amanda Bynes' assault allegations
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day...
5 min ago
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos