Children's food allergies expensive for parents
December 21, 2012 (WLS) -- Having a child with a food allergy can be expensive for the parents.
The cost of a food allergy for an average American child is more than $4000 a year.
According to the Northwestern University survey, most of that cost is not from direct medical care. It is from career sacrifices parents make to care for their child.
Many parents said they had to quit jobs or have been fired in connection with their child's allergy.
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 31 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 29 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 11, 2014
25 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
29 min ago
- Coast Guard cutter Mobile Bay goes to work...
18 min ago