Slightly overweight people may live longer
January 2, 2013 (WLS) -- If you're trying to get fit in the New Year, you may not need to work so hard.
A new study says being slightly overweight may actually help you live longer.
Researchers looked at data on nearly 3 million adults. They compared the body mass index to the risk of death.
The study found people with a little extra weight had a 6 percent lower risk of dying.
But obese people had more than triple the risk of dying.
The study is in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 4 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 3 min ago
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
3 min ago