Heart association challenges Americans to cut out salt
January 4, 2013 (WLS) -- Health officials are challenging Americans to reduce their salt intake.
The American Heart Association is launching a three week 'Sodium Swap Challenge' beginning on January 7th.
The AHA says it can be done by cutting out bread, cold cuts and cured meats from our diets. Making those changes to your diet can make a dramatic difference.
They also recommend limiting condiments and reading nutritional labels to reduce sodium intake.
While that may seem difficult, experts said people can change their palate and enjoy foods with less salt in just 21 days.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 36 min ago
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released 44 min ago
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 1 min ago
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
11 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos