Many people return to hospital after being discharged
January 23, 2013 (WLS) -- It's apparently a problem that is all too common in the U.S.
People are discharged from the hospital and return again after only a few short days.
In fact new reports find one in five people who have been hospitalized may end up back in the hospital, either in the ER or as an inpatient, within the next 30 days.
Another study found that readmission rates for specific conditions such as heart failure, heart attack and pneumonia were as high as 25-percent within a month.
According to experts, it's a complex, system-wide problem that shows the system for care is not integrated enough.
It's not a measure of the hospital or your primary care physician, they said.
Both studies were published in The Journal of the American Medical Association.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...