Many people return to hospital after being discharged
January 23, 2013 (WLS) -- It's apparently a problem that is all too common in the U.S.
People are discharged from the hospital and return again after only a few short days.
In fact new reports find one in five people who have been hospitalized may end up back in the hospital, either in the ER or as an inpatient, within the next 30 days.
Another study found that readmission rates for specific conditions such as heart failure, heart attack and pneumonia were as high as 25-percent within a month.
According to experts, it's a complex, system-wide problem that shows the system for care is not integrated enough.
It's not a measure of the hospital or your primary care physician, they said.
Both studies were published in The Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos