Toddler gets pencil stuck 5 inches into brain
January 25, 2013 (WLS) -- A freak accident involving a toddler and a pencil may have parents thinking twice.
Olivia Smith, 19 months old, in New Hampshire fell on one of her pencils, and it pierced her brain. Her story is nothing short of a miracle, and doctors are still astounded.
"Olivia was sitting in her chair, and she was coloring with a colored pencil All of a sudden she was on the floor. My 3-year-old said, "It's in her head! The pencil is in her head!'" said mom Susie Smith.
That pencil pierced the 19-month-old's eye, then lodged 5.5 Inches into her brain.
Olivia was airlifted to the hospital.
"I thought she was dying in my arms," Susie Smith said.
The stunning x-ray is the first thing surgeons at Boston Children's Hospital see.
"The pencil entered over the right eye and literally crossed the brain to the back next to the left ear," said Dr. Darren Orbach, neurointerventionalist.
It defies logic. But the pencil didn't puncture anything vital. Olivia's doctors are relieved but baffled. They had to find a way to get it out safely.
"The worry at that point was that there was an injury that was being held in place by the pencil," said Orbach.
With the help of a team of 50 doctors and a one-of-a-kin procedure, the pencil was safely removed.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 6 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 53 min ago
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 34 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says 29 min ago
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 43 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 51 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Chicago bridges lift as sailboats begin journey to harbors
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos