Study: Leafy green vegetables linked to food poisoning
January 29, 2013 (WLS) -- Leafy green vegetables are touted as some of the healthiest foods to eat, but a new government study says otherwise.
According to CDC, one in six Americans gets sick from food poisoning every year.
About one in five of those illnesses are linked to leafy green vegetables- more than any other type of food.
Nearly half of all food poisonings were attributed to produce, according to the study.
The study also found the largest proportion of food-borne illness deaths came from chicken.
However, health experts say most meals are safe and people should not be discouraged from eating produce or chicken.
They recommend washing the food and cooking thoroughly.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 18 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
15 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
18 min ago