Safe sledding, tubing tips
February 6, 2013 (WLS) -- It's hard to beat the rush of flying down a hill on a sled or in a tube. Doctors warn sledding has its dangers - but there are ways to have fun and stay safe.
Researchers at the "Nationwide Children's Hospital" who study sledding mishaps find the most common injuries are fractures, followed by cuts and bruises. However, head injuries are also common and can be very serious.
Investigators also note the majority of injuries happen during collisions when children aren't paying attention. The type of tube or sled can also make a difference. Experts say it best to stay away from snow discs and toboggans.
"They are a little harder to steer and sometimes get you spinning around in a way you can't really control where you are going," Lara McKenzie, Nationwide Children's Hospital, said.
So what else can parents do to protect their kids? Here are some common sense tips: make sure children are dressed properly and have them wear a helmet, much like they would wear when riding a bike; go downhill feet first and avoid sledding in areas with trees, fences or light poles; Don't sled in the street- ever; and make sure there is adult supervision.
Experts say these are tips are worth repeating at least once a year.
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 3 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges 21 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
3 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance,...
21 min ago