Hip replacement prices: $11,000 to $125,000
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure- but the cost can vary greatly.
Apparently where patients go for surgery determines how much they will pay. Also, a new study finds many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost.
Going rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of 10. It's a common surgery among the elderly, but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
A study in the journal of the American Medical Association found totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000. Experts said patients willing to make a lot of calls might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos