Hip replacement prices: $11,000 to $125,000
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure- but the cost can vary greatly.
Apparently where patients go for surgery determines how much they will pay. Also, a new study finds many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost.
Going rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of 10. It's a common surgery among the elderly, but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
A study in the journal of the American Medical Association found totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000. Experts said patients willing to make a lot of calls might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop 54 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Accused NU professor will not teach spring quarter
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler