It's not easy to learn the cost of hip replacement surgery
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure but you might be surprised to learn just how much the cost can vary.
A new study found that many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost. The cost all depends on where you go; rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of ten.
It's a common surgery among the elderly but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
Totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Experts recommend that if you're willing to make a lot of calls you might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos