It's not easy to learn the cost of hip replacement surgery
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure but you might be surprised to learn just how much the cost can vary.
A new study found that many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost. The cost all depends on where you go; rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of ten.
It's a common surgery among the elderly but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
Totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Experts recommend that if you're willing to make a lot of calls you might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- CTA: Ventra cards only possible by end of March
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits