It's not easy to learn the cost of hip replacement surgery
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure but you might be surprised to learn just how much the cost can vary.
A new study found that many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost. The cost all depends on where you go; rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of ten.
It's a common surgery among the elderly but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
Totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Experts recommend that if you're willing to make a lot of calls you might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home