It's not easy to learn the cost of hip replacement surgery
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hip replacement surgery is a common procedure but you might be surprised to learn just how much the cost can vary.
A new study found that many hospitals are hard pressed to tell people how much their surgery is going to cost. The cost all depends on where you go; rates for the procedure may vary from hospital to hospital by a factor of ten.
It's a common surgery among the elderly but half of all hip replacements are also done on people younger than 65, some of whom may not have private insurance.
Totals for surgery ranging anywhere from $11,000 to more than $125,000, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Experts recommend that if you're willing to make a lot of calls you might have success shopping around for the best deals.
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Ill. House approves gun plan opposed by Quinn 13 min ago
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
- Ex-CPD officer sentenced in Latin Kings case
- Blackhawks trail Red Wings 3-1 in NHL playoff series
- Aldi parking lot shooting victim may have been set up
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season
- Report: Judge to hear CPS school closings case
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number 1 min ago
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old