Red wine and chocolate are healthy choices, in moderation
February 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Red wine and chocolate are decadent favorites this time of year.
They may not only be romantic but they can be part of a heart-healthy diet.
In moderation they may be good choices, not just on Valentine's Day but all year-round.
Red wine contains resveratrol which is a powerful antioxidant and has been found to lower blood sugar and decrease inflammation.
For example, cabernets, pinots and merlots also contain catechins which could help improve good cholesterol.
When it comes chocolate, experts say the darker the better.
Choose a candy with a cocoa content of 70-percent or higher.
Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and has flavonoids and other heart-protecting properties.
Loyola cardiologists point out that moderation is key if you are truly looking for a healthy boost.
"We've not really had strong enough evidence that drinking red wine or having dark chocolate can actually reduce the incidence of heart disease," a cardiologist at Loyola University Medical Center Dr. Thriveni Sanagala said.
However, red wine and chocolate do have substances that can be good when used in moderation, Sanagala said.
That would mean maybe one glass of red wine a day and just a few ounces of chocolate several times a week.
Other heart-healthy foods to consider are salmon, tuna, flax seed and nuts like almonds and walnuts.
They all contain omega-3 fatty acids.
Oatmeal and berries such as blueberries, cranberries and strawberries are also good sources of fiber, potassium and other healthy components.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 8 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days 18 min ago
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained 44 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
8 min ago