Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday; spring forward
March 7, 2013 -- Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, but there are things you can do now to help ease the feeling of losing that hour and getting your mind and body in sync with the time change.
"It's important to focus on a routine. I recommend my clients usually start three or four days ahead of time, and it makes the transition a lot easier," said Mark Kurganov, therapist, Elite Fitness.
Kurganov says each night go to bed and get up 15 minutes earlier. When it comes to a wakeup call, coffee is aromatic and stimulating, but dietitian Ashley Koff says fuel is a must for real energy.
"Energy comes from food; it comes from a nutrient balance of carbohydrates, protein and health fats," Koff said. "Carbohydrates, like our waffle and some healthy fat and protein from our peanut butter."
Koff said she likes a fruit-veggie smoothie with hemp for protein, lemon and ginger to boost digestion. Eat quality meals, and before bed, she says, take magnesium, like Natural Calm.
"Magnesium is the nutrient to help us go to bed a little bit earlier because it's going to turn off our fight-or-flight response," Koff said.
An hour before bed, power down your phone, computer and TV. Make the room dark and cool. Oftentimes right before you go to bed, you're usually thinking of all those things you have to do the next day. Kurganov says one of the best things you can do is write them down, put them on paper and finish up with a declarative statement. So when you wake up, you'll act accordingly.
"If you give yourself a command, you're more likely to follow through," he said.
Kurganov said he has clients follow deep-breathing and mind-body techniques to wind down.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 29 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death 5 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back 8 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 6 min ago
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car...
- Man accused in sex assault of pregnant ex-girlfriend
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
29 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey to be...
7 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
5 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos