Beer good for your heart and bones, study shows
March 25, 2013 -- Beer may not seem like a healthy drink, but drinking it in moderation can protect your bones, reduce your heart disease risk and more.
Brew Master Eric says his mixtures might become the toast of the town for their health benefits.
Dr. Sara Jo Nixon, Addiction Expert said, "Well alcohol's been used as medication for forever and ever."
Nixon says, like red wine, drinking beer can be good for your heart. An Italian study of more than 200,000 people found those who drank a pint a day, had a 31 percent decrease in heart disease risk. Beer can also raise HDL, the good cholesterol in your body.
A 2009 study found the high levels of silicon in beer can be good for bones, as well.
"We also know that there's a line between too much alcohol being bad for bones," Nixon said.
Harvard studies found beer can prevent blood clots and reduce the risk of stroke, and that a few beers a day lowered the risk of diabetes in middle-aged men by 25 percent.
Research in Europe found moderate beer drinkers had 30 percent higher levels of the disease-fighting vitamin B6 compared to non-drinkers.
"But, you can't substitute a beer for your multi-vitamin," Nixon said.
Nixon says that moderation is key. It's recommended women have no more than one drink a day and men, no more than two, because the organ systems that benefit from a few beers.
A few more benefits of beer: a study in Finland says, men who drank a few bottles daily lowered their risk of kidney stones by 40 percent.
Research also found marinating a steak in beer could reduce the risk of cancer because it wipes out the majority of carcinogens that are produced when meat is fried in a pan.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 46 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 42 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 42 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 8 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 45 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
42 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos