Kevin Ware not in pain after surgery, doctors say
April 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It was the gruesome and freakish leg accident seen round the world Sunday night. But newly released images of Kevin Ware should provide some reassurance to all those concerned
During the NCAA tournament, the Louisville guard suffered a compound fracture in his right leg. But Tuesday he was up and walking on crutches.
Doctors say Kevin Ware is not in pain after a two-hour surgery to repair the horrifying fracture.
The bone was reset and a rod was inserted into the tibia.
Orthopedic surgeons explain that basketball players are prone to stress fractures in the tibia, the larger of the two leg bones, and that can weaken them. If not detected, they can result in a full fracture.
"When Kevin landed and his foot planted, the significant pressure on those bones led to it going through the soft tissue," said NYU's Dr. Eric Strauss_Surgeon. "He's gonna likely require a considerable amount of rehabilitation to regain his mobility."
The stomach-churning moment came when Ware landed awkwardly and his right leg snapped beneath him, exposing the broken bone. The injury had fans, players and coaches in tears.
Surgery to stabilize the bone is usually successful.
Louisville won the game and advanced to the Final Four.
Ware is expected to be able to travel with the players next week to cheer them on.
healthbeat, sylvia perez
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 30 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 46 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 48 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 24 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 2 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 7 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
48 min ago
- 7 in :77
10 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
30 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
46 min ago