Family goes extra mile to help veteran who needs kidney
April 10, 2013 (WLS) -- What would your family do to help a seriously sick relative?
One devoted family has gone the extra mile. Veteran Willie West, 68, got a kidney from his daughter eight years ago is in need again.
This time it's his granddaughter who is stepping up.
West served others as a soldier in Vietnam and in the Gulf War.
Then eight years ago, it was West who needed help. His kidney was shutting down and he was in trouble.
"I was on dialysis for a while, and my daughter came by to see me, and she decided to become a donor," West said.
West's daughter was willing to give up one of her kidney's to help her dad.
But that once-healthy kidney stopped functioning. Time is limited for the 68-year-old New Yorker and the donor list is long.
His family even set up a facebook page called "Let's Find a Kidney for Willie" to look for potential donor and it turns out that they didn't have to look far.
"My mother donated a kidney so I thought why not I do it. I see my mom, she's a strong woman," West's granddaughter Imani Lindsey, 23, said.
"Why not have someone who you love and adore - live!" she said.
She says she's not scared to donate a kidney to her grandfather but excited to help add more years to his life.
"To know that there are people in your family care that much," West said. "I just want my family to know that I really do appreciate them."
The procedure will happen later this month at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Accused NU professor will not teach spring quarter 33 min ago
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler 45 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 13, 2014
58 min ago