Family goes extra mile to help veteran who needs kidney
April 10, 2013 (WLS) -- What would your family do to help a seriously sick relative?
One devoted family has gone the extra mile. Veteran Willie West, 68, got a kidney from his daughter eight years ago is in need again.
This time it's his granddaughter who is stepping up.
West served others as a soldier in Vietnam and in the Gulf War.
Then eight years ago, it was West who needed help. His kidney was shutting down and he was in trouble.
"I was on dialysis for a while, and my daughter came by to see me, and she decided to become a donor," West said.
West's daughter was willing to give up one of her kidney's to help her dad.
But that once-healthy kidney stopped functioning. Time is limited for the 68-year-old New Yorker and the donor list is long.
His family even set up a facebook page called "Let's Find a Kidney for Willie" to look for potential donor and it turns out that they didn't have to look far.
"My mother donated a kidney so I thought why not I do it. I see my mom, she's a strong woman," West's granddaughter Imani Lindsey, 23, said.
"Why not have someone who you love and adore - live!" she said.
She says she's not scared to donate a kidney to her grandfather but excited to help add more years to his life.
"To know that there are people in your family care that much," West said. "I just want my family to know that I really do appreciate them."
The procedure will happen later this month at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking