Derya Sert, Turkish womb transplant recipient, is pregnant
April 16, 2013 (WLS) -- A woman in Turkey is making medical history.
Not only is Derya Sert the first person to receive a uterus transplant, but she is also the first woman to become pregnant with the transplanted womb.
The 22-year-old was born without a womb. It's a rare condition.
Sert is the first woman ever to undergo a successful uterus transplant, which she received from a deceased donor in 2011. Doctors have now revealed that she is almost two weeks pregnant.
Remarkably, Sert's ovaries were healthy and she produced eggs, which doctors harvested before the uterus transplant. They then put the fertilized embryos into her new womb.
Doctors say she still faces a high risk of miscarriage and other complications in the early stages of her pregnancy. But the experiment is giving thousands of childless women hope of conceiving.
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover 17 min ago
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- London theater balcony believed to have collapsed 1 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 48 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus