Some meats pose higher risk of food poisoning
April 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You may be able to lower your risk of food poisoning by avoiding certain meats.
A new report by the Center for Science in the Public Interest analyzed more than 33,000 cases and found that ground beef and chicken caused the most hospitalizations.
A third of the illnesses came from salmonella and E. coli, which can contaminate meat and poultry during slaughter and processing.
Improper cooking and storage are also blamed for sickness. The lowest-risk meats: chicken nuggets, ham and sausage.
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 11 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits