Medical brief: Migraines, home births and arm lifts
April 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Migraines, home births and one of the hottest trends in plastic surgery are all big stories today.
Twelve million Americans are said to suffer from migraines. Relief often comes in a variety of different drugs but at what expense?
A new review of preventive treatments finds there's not much difference in the effectiveness of the commonly prescribed drugs. But there is a wide variation in side effects.
In fact many medications had side effects so bothersome that patients frequently stopped taking them.
In just a four-year period, home births have jumped by 20-percent causing the American Academy of Pediatrics to issue a new policy statement. It includes a recommendation that there be a caregiver who's present solely to take care of the newborn.
The group says women need to be supported wherever they choose to give birth and babies deserve the best care they can get.
There's news that more women are getting arm lifts. There were 300 procedures in the year 2000 and that figure jumped to about 15,000 in 2012.
Experts say the rise is being driven by sleeveless fashions and celebrities with ultra-toned arms including First Lady Michelle Obama and Jennifer Aniston.
healthbeat, sylvia perez
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 1 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 14 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 12 min ago
- Repairs tp city's aging sewer, water lines underway 1 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 27 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
1 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
27 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
51 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos