Scientists discover cause of port-wine stain birthmarks
May 9, 2013 (WLS) -- In what is being called a milestone discovery in the field of genetics, scientists say they have finally discovered what causes babies to be born with port-wine stain birthmarks.
And also another condition called Sturge-Weber syndrome.
It's a related condition that often leads to lifelong struggles with blindness, seizures and mental disabilities.
Scientists say it's a single random change to a single gene after conception that causes both of these conditions.
They add that this discovery now means that doctors can immediately move on to the idea of what to do about it , instead of just treating the symptoms.
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD