Scientists discover cause of port-wine stain birthmarks
May 9, 2013 (WLS) -- In what is being called a milestone discovery in the field of genetics, scientists say they have finally discovered what causes babies to be born with port-wine stain birthmarks.
And also another condition called Sturge-Weber syndrome.
It's a related condition that often leads to lifelong struggles with blindness, seizures and mental disabilities.
Scientists say it's a single random change to a single gene after conception that causes both of these conditions.
They add that this discovery now means that doctors can immediately move on to the idea of what to do about it , instead of just treating the symptoms.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates