Babies go through remarkable changes in 1st year of life
May 16, 2013 (WLS) -- The changes a baby goes through that first year of life are truly amazing.
For parents, it's a process that's not only exhausting but nerve-wracking as well.
What should be happening at what age and when is it time to be concerned?
"There can be a range of several months in which the development of a new skill is entirely normal," Dr. Eileen Costello of Brigham and Women's Hospital said.
One of the first and most anticipated milestones is a baby's first true or "social" smile. It usually happens around two months.
"A social smile is when you work at it a little bit, and the baby, suddenly, its whole face lights up," Costello said.
At two to three months, babies should be able to lift and support their own heads.
Soon after come their first attempts at talking.
"A four-month-old will be making AH, EE, OO - those kinds of sounds," she said.
Actual words will come later at around 12 to 15 months.
Most babies roll over at six or seven-months-old, crawl at nine-months-old and walk at about 12 months.
No two babies progress at the same rate but there are certain red flags that may indicate developmental problems.
Parents should consult a doctor if at three months the baby lacks head control and appears floppy in parents' arms, or if the infant doesn't smile, respond to noise or has trouble with eye contact.
healthbeat, sylvia perez
- 2 storms take aim at Chicago area 1 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 5 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found living in Montana 20 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse 18 min ago
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Free gift-wrapping service at O'Hare, Midway 18 min ago
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools