Probiotics may protect from antibiotic side effects
May 31, 2013 (WLS) -- Antibiotics may help clear infections. But they can cause potentially dangerous stomach issues for many patients.
Supplements called probiotics may provide protection from this nasty side effect.
A new report from the Cochrane Collaboration suggests patients on antibiotics could benefit from taking probiotics at the same time. Antibiotics can disturb the ecosystem of organisms in the digestive system, allowing dangerous bacteria such as c. diff to overwhelm the gut.
Probiotics, which are cocktails of micro-organisms, seem to ensure a healthy balance of gut bacteria. More work is now needed to pinpoint what types of probiotics work best.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 21 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 22 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- 7 in 77
19 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
21 min ago